Do you use a video slate for your productions? Here are 8 tricks I’ve picked up over the years to make slate use a more productive task.
In short, here are my 8 tips for using a slate:
- Use gaffers tape instead of markers
- Don’t clutter the slate (keep it simple)
- Figure out a system and stick with it
- Use the slate to find focus
- Have the slate in the frame before recording
- Remember you can slate at the end of a shot if you can’t slate at the beginning
- Don’t slate to loudly
- Use slate orientation as a marker
Looking for more of a slate tutorial? Check out this great video by RocketJump Film School. What slate tricks do you employ on set? Share in the comments!