I recently got an email from Ben Sansom showing off a cage he made from various parts off of amazon. What I love about Ben’s cage is that many of us have the parts laying around and only need a few components to put a cage together! If you don’t have any of the parts listed below, the cage build costs around $160 but if you have a few rods and a baseplate, you aren’t far from a killer little cage.
- 2x SmallRig 90 Degree Rail Blocks
- Pair of 8 Inch 15mm Rods (skip this if you use this kit)
- Pair of 4 Inch 15mm Rods
- 1x 15mm Cheese Rod
- 1x 15mm Top Handle (several options here)
- M5 Bolts (Optional replacement for knobs)
- Your quick release plate of choice (Ben used this one)
Building the Cage
3. Now take your 15mm Cheese Rod (you can use any 15mm rod) and attach the bottom rods (step 1) and the top rods (step 2) together.
4. The next step is to add your quick release plate. If you have one laying around use that, otherwise something like this would work. Take your quick release plate and attach it to the bottom rods. If you aren’t going to use the quick release kit linked to above, you can use this double rod clamp to attach your quick release plate. you should now have this:
5. All we need to do now is add the 15mm Top Handle and we are done!
Special thanks to Ben for sharing is cage build! You can see all the images of Ben’s cage here: