Support gear is so important when dealing with video, much less DSLR video. Here is a list of support gear I use and trust. Looking for rigs? Check out the Rigs and Accessories page.
Sachtler Ace Tripod ($560)
- For HDSLR Cameras & Compact Camcorders
- Supports Up to 8.8 lb
- Drag: 3 Grades Each of H/V + Zero
- 5-Step Counterbalance
- Balance Plate with 4.1″ Sliding Range
- 66.5″ Maximum System Height
Benro S6 Tripod ($300 for the kit or $160 for the head)
Benro has a great video tripod that uses Manfrotto plates and works great. They are supposed to be coming out with even more heads in the near future.
- Supports 13.2 lb (6 kg)
- Posi-Step Counterbalance System
- Variable Tilt Drag Control
- Separate Pan and Tilt Locks
- 501PL Compatible Quick Release Plate
- Quick Release Plate Safety Lock
Davis & Sanford Tripods ($150+)
VIDEO: Watch Caleb's Review
I’ve been using D&S video tripods for several years now and am still blown away with how well they have held up. Not only are these tripods well build and smooth, but you also get a 10 year warranty with them! You can get the tripods in a bowl or lift configuration. I would recommend you check out the “Grounder” version that lens you can the tripod head all the way down to the ground for those hot low shots.
Velbon Tripods $60-190
If you’ve got a light setup these are great tripods. I’ve used the Velbon DV-7000 for over 4 years now. And while its not the smoothest head out there, its price, and size work very well for DSLR video work. Its a portable, lightweight video tripod that can support cameras weighing up to 10 pounds. Its two-way pan head features separate pan and tilt locks for stable, locked-down shots, or you can pan a full 360° and tilt up and down for smooth tracking of action.
VIDEO: Watch Caleb's Review
- Maximum Height: 6.6′ (200 cm)
- Weighs Just 4.6 lbs
- Fluid Head Included
- Long Sliding Plate
- Side Lock System for Safety
- 3 Mini Legs at Base for Added Stability
- Supports up to 11 lb
- Fluid Base for Smooth Rotation
- Supports Camcorders Up to 17.6 lb
- 4 Sections for Up to 76″ Height
- 357PLV Camera Plate Slides for Balance
Shark S1 $590-640
- Belt driven system
- Max load 15 lbs
- Spin wheel
- Carbon fiber rails
- Extension tubes
- SUPER smooth slider
Get yours at Gear Contact.
Konova Sliders $220-550
- K1 (33 lbs weight limit) $200
- K2 (39 lbs weight limit) $220
- K3 (48 lbs weight limit) $320
- K7 (77 lbs weight limit) $550
F&V Sliders $250-400
- Thicker, stronger, stainless steel guide rail
- Sizes from 28″ to 47″
- Made of Aluminum Alloy
- Adjustable Terrain Legs
- Offset Mounting Plate
- Multiple Mounting Thread Locations
- Material: Aluminum Alloy
- Nominal Weight: 9-15 lbs
- Maximum Load: 33lbs
Get yours at F&V Lighting.
Kamerar Sliders $130-280
- 23″ to 48″ Long.
- Black Anodized Linear Rail.
- Red Anodized Slider Carrier w/ Bubble Level.
- Compound Friction Bearings for Low Noise Tracking.
- Adjustable Feet for Leveling.
- The Konova scaled skater video camera dolly can creat dramatic video easily without track system.
- Head screw accpets 3/8″ famale heads.
- The adjustable anodized aluminum rods have smooth movement and can also be locked.
- Hard coating wheel at 82~85a ensure durable using and smooth movement.
Get yours at Konova.
- For Small Cameras
- up to 10 lbs Capacity
- Industry trusted gear
- High quality & precise manufacture by CNC.
- Carbon fiber & aluminum alloy for both light weight & strength.
- Three axial gimbal system & double rod base system enhance the stability of steadicam sled.
- Dual Arm system with special made springs absorbs the most vibration during walking/running/going up/down stairs.
- Tool-free Installing & quick adjustment.
- 2 section adjustment with handle & post allow you taking high or low mode easily.
- High Load capacity from 1 kg to 8 Kg, compatible with DV-DSLR-HDV-BMCC.
Get yours at D Cinema.